2011 Family/Comedy Rated G 95 Minutes
|In Theaters||April 15, 2011|
|On 4K UHD||Not Available|
|On Blu-ray||August 2, 2011|
|On DVD||August 2, 2011|
Captured as a young bird from the wild, Blu (Jesse Eisenberg, The Social Network) is a domesticated Spix Macaw living thousands of miles away from his homeland, Brazil. When his human owner Linda (Leslie Mann, 17 Again) discovers that he is the last male of his kind, they head south to Rio de Janeiro to meet the only other female.
But it’s far from love at first sight between the socially-awkward, flight-challenged Blu and the fiercely independent, high-flying female, Jewel (Anne Hathaway, The Princess Diaries). Shortly after Blu’s arrival, the two rare birds are captured by greedy animal smugglers and find themselves lost in the Brazilian rainforest. Unexpectedly thrown together, they embark on a hilarious and clumsy adventure where they learn about friendship, love, courage and spreading one’s wings to fly.
Box office gross: $143.5 million. View box office history.
Released by Fox and Blue Sky Studios. See more credits.
Mentions in News Stories
- Review: 'Americano' breathes fresh air into crowded subgenre
- Trailer: We're not in 'Rio' anymore
- Classic Hollywood rules Oscars as 'The Artist', 'Hugo' are big winners
- 'Hugo' scores big with 11 Oscar nominations
- Oscar Watch: 18 animated films to compete for Oscar glory
- A look back at the first half of 2011 at the box office